CASA Safety Training Services
TRAINING COURSE FACT SHEET
Construction Skills Site Management Safety Training Scheme
2 day Refresher: SMSTR
The two-day Site Safety Plus Refresher SMSTR course is for delegates who have previously passed the full five-day (SMSTS) course and can provide proof of attendance. It aims to bring health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact in the work place. The course includes a wide range of topics, many building on the previous five-day course programme as well as introducing new subjects.
The two-day refresher course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety welfare and environmental issues; and
- Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation and new working practices.
- At the end of the period of training, delegates will be:
- Aware of, and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a Manager
- Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry of best practice
- Reminded of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
Only those Delegates, who have passed the five-day SMSTS course and have provided evidence to the training provider before attending the course, are eligible to attend the two-day refresher course.
If a delegate cannot provide a copy of their certificate, or a letter from the SMSTS Department advising them that they should attend a refresher course, it may be possible to receive confirmation from the database archive system within the SMSTS Department.
Details of the course venue and the date of the course should be provided in order to locate the Delegate on the system. However, if an individual cannot be located on the system and no evidence can be found they will have no option but to attend the full five-day course.
Delegates are required to attend both sessions, since without full attendance and achievement in the examination the renewal of the Construction Site Manager’s Safety Certificate cannot be made.
Delegates must attend the days in order and, where not on consecutive days, must complete the course within two weeks. Delegates unable to attend both days due to extenuating circumstances (e.g. certificated sickness) will need to enrol onto a new course in order to maintain continuity of learning outcomes and attend both days again.